Bumi Thomas is a dynamic contemporary African, acoustic Jazz-folk-soul singer and songwriter whose style is inspired by her multicultural heritage. Her music explores identity, sensuality, Love, spirituality, retrospective and cross-culturism.
Born in Glasgow, raised between the tranquillity of Kano (a Nomadic desert town in Nigeria) and the colourful excitement of Lagos (one of the most vibrant cosmopolitan cities in Africa) and now based in London after completing a degree in Fine Art Media & Visual Communication, Bumi's music represents the journey of a modern African creative in the Diaspora.
"My journey is essentially about transcending boundaries. Its ethos: a delicate exploration of the relationship between art and experience, how that expression is transformed to music and how that music translates to pure emotional impulse. As an artist, I find that my work also encapsulates my evolution as a woman."
Bumi's sound is a synergy that combines jazz, folklore, high life, Afro-beat rhythms, reggae grooves and tribal nuances. A truly organic fusion of ornate rhythms, thought stimulating lyrics, ambient melodies infused with funk and delivered with soul. A sound- scape rich in texture, imagination, originality and poetry inflected by the influence of Tracy Chapman, Sade Adu, Bobby McFerrin, Nina Simone and Miriam Makeba.
As a singer/songwriter, Bumi is inspired by the journey of life, the emotional spectrum of the human experience and the opportunity to drive positive change using art and music as the mechanism of empowerment. "I feel like I have earned the right to stimulate other people's consciousness with something that isn't generic but ultimately unique."
In 2011, Bumi received the Womatt Best of British (BOB) Award for Best Solo Newcomer and was also nominated for two BEFFTA awards "Best Female Act" and "Best Female UK Based Afro-Caribbean Act". Her Debut EP 'Feather Pearl' will be released in Summer 2012.
Bumi's band is:
- . Bumi Thomas -Lead Vocals & Guitar
- . Jon Speedy - Lead Guitar
- . Matteo Grassi - Bass
- . Jules Weishaupt - Drums and Percussion
- Muzical Mindz Empowering Church, Hackney. 12th May 2012
- The Osho Gallery Space & Collection. 19th May 2012
- Tunaweza Festival- International Women's Day 2012 Forward UK (London, March 2012)
- ROCG-Eirenicon Afria Black Gold in Africa 2012 (London, February 2012)
- Hackney Attic (London, February 2012)
- SOAS University Save the Africa Centre Campaign(London, January 2012)
- Forward UK-Mobilising Young Women (London, December 2011)
- Nominated for two BEFFTA awards "Best Female Act" and "Best Female Uk Based Afro-Caribbean Act"
- Bumi Has featured on Vox Africa's "Shoot The Messenger" Hosted by Henry Bonsu In 2011
- Hackney Picturehouse - Film Africa Festival (London, November 2011)
- Womatt Best Of British Award 2011 (Award for Best Solo Newcomer 2011)
- Open Art Surgery- Sadlers Wells Theatre (London, October 2011)
- The Bloomsbury Theatre London African Music Festival (Euston, September 2011)
- The Tabernacle, Artist for East African famine relief in association with UNICEF (London, August 2011)
- Upstairs @ The Ritzy, Opening for Mambena (London, May 2011)
- Juju (Chelsea, London Ausgust, 2011)
- The Tabernacle Mama Africa Wom@tt (Notting Hill, March 2011)
- The Hoxton Bar and Grill, Opening for Mensa (Shoreditch, London, January 2011)
- The Africa centre (Covent Garden, November 2010)
- The Waterside (Fulham, London Nov 2010)
- The Oxjam Music Festival Upstairs @ the Ritzy (Brixton, London September 2010)
- CARGO 'That I May See' Art Exhibition (London, August 2010)
- The Slaughtered Lamb, Opening for Muntu Valdo on the Black Routes tour (Clerkenwell London July 2010)
- The Victoria and Albert Museum (South Kensington, June 2010)
- Resonance FM with Raphael Mann Frizz records(London Feb 2010)
- The Barbican Open Stage (Mariam Makeba tribute concert November 2009)
- The Millbank (Pimlico London, November 2009)
- Momo's Kemar Bar (Piccadilly London, September 2009)
- Spiral Lounge (Camden, London, June 2009)
- The Proud galleries (Camden, opening for the London Afro-beat Collective, August 2009)
Connect with me
Join the Bumi Music mailing list, this subscription will get you the latest news on tours, shows, merchandise, competitions and much more. Simply send in your email address.